Friday, August 24, 2012

Back in the Saddle Again (sort of)

Finally, after almost 12 weeks of no running, I'm just now trying to get back in the (running) saddle again.  I can't say my foot is really better yet but I guess I'm starting to feel like this may be the new normal for me.  I have rested and iced my foot, worn a walking boot, taken massive amounts of ibuprofen and even gotten a cortisone shot (which I since regret) and still it doesn't feel 100%.  The most frustrating part is that I don't feel like I have a very clear diagnosis of what is wrong or much of a path to recovery.

It all started the week before my marathon when I went to buy new running shoes for my race.  Just as I was leaving the store, I happened to mention something about all the toenails that I had lost during my training cycle.  The guy helping me with the shoes suggested I try tying my shoes in a different way that would keep my foot from slipping forward.  He showed me this new method and I could feel it pulling my shoe nice and tight over the top of my foot.  I put about 20 miles on the new shoes over the course of a week before my race and all felt fine.

The morning of the race, I was sure to tie my shoes with this new method and pulled them tight over my foot.  Yes, I should know better than to try anything new on race day/week!!!  Anyway, my foot felt fine during the race and I even felt great the day after the marathon.  In fact, I felt so great that I decided I would sign up for another marathon that was just a month later.  And in order to get started on my training right away, I went out for a 6 mile run just two days after my marathon.

Within 1-2 miles of starting out on my run, the top of my left foot began to hurt.  It was at this time that I did the second really stupid thing in a week -- I forced myself to finish my planned 6 miles.  By the end, my foot really hurt and that was the beginning of the end of my big plans for capitalizing on all my spring training and running a bunch of summer/fall races.

Fast forward 12 weeks.  The top of my foot now feels all tingly whenever I touch it, which I'm guessing is the result of the cortisone shot.  And now when I run, my foot/ankle just doesn't feel right -- it doesn't hurt -- but something about it feels a little off.

However, I have Boston 2013 in my sights and have to start building my base from nothing in order to start really training by December.  So I'm doing my best to build VERY slowly and get back running again.  I have run a total of 4 miles this week.  Two 1/2 mile runs and three 1 mile runs.  Yep, I get all dressed to go and run 1 mile!!  With so many friends running Hood to Coast this weekend, it is tough to be sidelined and not out there in a hot, sweaty van with 5 other girls.  But at least I'm putting one foot in front of the other and trying to get back in running shape.

Sadly, I'm sure I'm not alone in having to take a lot of time off and recover from an injury.

What is the worst running-related injury you have sustained and how much time did you take off from running?

Have you had any good/bad experiences with cortisone?  I, for one, wouldn't do it again and wish I had done some research before getting the shot...!

- Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment